Saturday, July 02, 2005

They have eyes and see not....

I'm just back from visiting a friend in hospital. I managed to smuggle out the February 1st issue of Woman's Weekly. Like most men, I just love women's magazines. If a magazine looks really ancient and unloved...I've been known to surreptitiously rip out a recipe or two or the web address of a sufferers association or support group....usually the ones that the resident agony aunt recommends disappointed women to accidentally leave where their embarrassed husbands might find them. However, on this occasion it was something much sadder and more shocking.
I stumbled across an interview with Sue Townsend, author of Adrian Mole and other best sellers.
It came as a complete suprise to learn that, due to complications related to diabetes, she was gradually going blind. The piece was uplifting in many ways. She told of her love for her husband, his role in her success and how she now dictated her work to him.....but this is a woman who has worked with the most difficult, so-called, hard-to-help people in Britain.
She said:

I am still very aware of the injustice in the world and I don't believe in God. I have worked with a lot of very tough people-I've worked in prisons and with maladjusted boys, small children, offenders, you name it--and I've never met one person who was irredeemable, who was not "worth saving" . I have never come across any unkindness in any of those situations. People are good, on the whole. That's what I do believe, very much.

Her new book is called Adrian Mole and The Weapons of Mass Destruction....should be well worth a look...

1 Comments:

Blogger tonyfromwindsor said...

I'm not sure who it was in history that knocked the second "O" out of good and came up with God,but they have a lot to answer for,and many of those that are 'Good" miss out on deserved accolades because they don't include "King Spook"--God

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home